Friday 7 February 2014

Anatomy: Playdough feet!

 

I was thinking about which bones to do next on Harmonie's body picture last night and how to make it more fun for all my girls, especially for the more hands on learner.  That's when I daydreamed with telly off and silence around - I love day dreaming as that's where I find some of my ideas - when an idea came to me...


 
PLAY DOUGH FEET!
 

This is how we made out Play dough foot bones today...  


For this project you will need:

  • A diagram of the bones in a foot - You can either draw your own diagram first or download my free unlabelled one here or another free PDF file I made of a ready labelled  foot diagram here.

  • Play dough - I wanted to use more colours to show the different types of bones but only had three still, it doesn't really matter. Salt dough, modelling clay or even bread dough and biscuit dough would do too and make for some more yummy science.
All you have to do in this project is make the shapes of the bones with the play dough and talk about the different names of the bones.
 
You might want to look at your own feet to see where the bones are under the skin by rubbing your toes or the top of your foot.
 
This is a great way for tactile learners, even those who are older studying for GCSE's even, yet it was simple enough for my Honi, age 6, who enjoyed it immensely! 




Feet bone facts!
Did you know in your foot there are: 
 
  • 260 bones
  • 33 joints
  • 107 ligaments
  • 19 muscles and tendons
  • The 52 bones in your feet make up about 25% of all the bones in your body.
  • Over 200,000 nerve endings
  • Over 250,000 sweat glands that expels 1 pint of sweat a day!
  • You achillies tendon is the strongest tendon in the body!


 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa. I reckon that last fact about the Achilles tendon will stay with me forever. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It is a cool fact and having recently studied a bit about Achillies in our Greek history project we're doing I don't think I will ever forget either! :)

      Delete
  2. Lisa your posts are so inspirational, when I am out of ideas for home ed project your blog is always my starting point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely comment to find on my blog! Thank you Emma!

      Delete
  3. This is really cool! I have a 8 years daughter and I bet she will love these ideas! I saved your website as my favorite website. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that is lovely to read. I hope you continue to enjoy reading and using the resources! :)

      Delete
  4. I think that here you can find some good writing advice's

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Looks creepy, to be honest. I would not play such game with my niece. i think it might scare her a bit. Though, as for me, my self introduction essay looks more creepy than this toy. I doubt I will get a fine mark for it. Well, let it be. I don't have much time to make it better.

    ReplyDelete